Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kidney Scare.

Ok, this post goes way back, so bare with me while I give you all the background on how I got to where I am now.

Back in October I went to the doctor for what I thought was a UTI (I still think it was) and was asked to give a urine sample.  The nurse came in and told me that there was blood in my urine and they were going to send it off to have a "deep dip" culture done of it.  She prescribed me some antibiotics and then I was on my way.  A few days later I started feeling better, but when the nurse called to give me the results of my culture and they said there was no bacteria (which is needed to have a UTI) but that there was blood in my urine I was a little panicked..  I asked her what she thought that meant and she said she didn't really know.  She mentioned something about bladder cancer, but then quickly said that I of course would not be a candidate for that because I am not over 40 and am not a smoker.  I kind of trailed off from the conversation after hearing that and began to have horrible thoughts.  She said that after the baby it would be a good idea to have an ultrasound done on my kidneys to make sure there weren't any abnormalities or anything.  I couldn't really get that thought out of my mind that there was blood in my urine with no real known cause.

A couple of weeks went by and I began having symptoms of an upper respiratory infection so I made an appointment with my primary care physician (I hadn't been to the regular doctor in years) to have him check me out.  Just out of curiousity and a bit of a nagging feeling in the back of my mind I had them do a urine test as well.  The doctor I think thought he was going to see a clean sample, but of course not.  I again had blood in my urine and he said that he didn't want me to wait on the ultrasound.  He said he was going to do another more in depth test, but he thought it would be fine.  I got a call Monday from a nurse saying that there was a "significant" amount of blood in my urine and the doctor went ahead and sent a referral over to have my ultrasound scheduled.  They wanted me to come in and give another sample, but by this point I was already on another round of antibiotics that I got from the on-call nurse from my OB.  I at this point was totally freaked out and could hardly keep my composure in front of anyone.  I'm a 30 year old extremely active female with no prior health problems whatsoever, so this came as a complete shock that there could be something majorily wrong with my kidneys.  This morning, Tuesday, I  went and had my ultrasound of my kidneys, bladder and aorta which connects your kidneys to...I can't remember, something.  I expected not to hear anything until tomorrow morning, but around 12:45 I got a call from my primary care doctor and they said that everything was totally normal and that my second urine test also came back normal, so there's nothing to worry about and I just need to monitor my urine throughout the duration of my pregnancy.  Phew!

During this whole time of waiting and finding this all out I did more research on "Hematuria" (blood in urine) that I could possibly do.  I wouldn't recommend this to someone who is easily swayed into believing something could be really wrong with you.  It's like I was in a blur for a few days and couldn't really focus on anything for very long without my mind wandering.  I'm just so glad to know that there is not an issue with my kidneys and that some people just sometimes have Hematuria.  It could've been caused from the UTI or some runners can have Hematuria because of the jarring of your bladder and kidneys during long runs.  Whatever the case is, I'm just thrilled to know it's nothing major and I can go on with my life and have a healthy non-anxious pregnancy!  Who knows, maybe because I have this issue with baby #2 it means boy :))

No comments: